Jobs for women

Thinking about visiting or moving to Fort McMurray? Ask the people who live here your questions.

Jobs for women

Considering relocating to FMM specifically for financial reasons. Looking to network and find info on jobs for women. I'm 44 with 25 years of work experience including healthcare, clerical, cleaning, and some retail. I'm not afraid of more remote areas. I'm not looking for minimum wage jobs. Any advice appreciated :D
Curiouscoaster

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Jobs for women

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am

Jobs for women? Well I can think of wet nurse, surrogate mother and nun, Unfortunately I don't think any are particularly high demand positions in this town. While you state working in health care I am assuming you are not an MD or RN. Without any specific qualifications I would not count on finding a career leading to financial freedom in this town. Yes the wages are higher, but that is because the cost of living is higher. I would say only move here is you think living in someones basement at 44 sounds good to you.
MacDaddy

Unread postby 1crazylady » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:58 am

This is Fort Mac. There are no gender specific jobs here. I have seen male nannies and female oil executives. Jobs here are based on what (and who) you know, not which public bathroom you use :)
Good luck!
1crazylady

Unread postby Chickpea » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm

MacDaddy :lol:

Many jobs for ya, check workopolis.com or indeed.ca. The rent is crazy so you will need to either rent just a bedroom for $1k or have a roomate. Not so bad if you don't mind that. It will look to you like you are making money but you'll see after your first few months that there is a reason we need the larger paycheques.

There are lots of girly things here, we even have an annual tradeshow just for women. It's packed and tons of fun.

Lots of women here also run home businesses such as Watkins, Stella&Dot, Scentsy, etc. There are some networking groups just for women here too. I like it.
Chickpea

Return to Newcomers