Looking for Communications/Marketing Opportunites

Thinking about visiting or moving to Fort McMurray? Ask the people who live here your questions.

Hi there! I am a University-educated young professional working in marketing and have a few years of commercial experience from around the GTA in Ontario. I am planning to relocate to Fort McMurray because my partner lives and works there so I'd like to know what my options would be with my background (I have web production skills including websites, video editing, writing, SEO and an ability to interface with technical IT roles). I've worked in only two industries: retail and currently work in financial services, so any way that I would be able to refocus my experience is an option worth considering at this point. Any pointers would be highly appreciated as I've heard that Fort Mac can a very binary choice for most people, they either love or hate it....Thanks in advance!
tasevska

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Looking for Communications/Marketing Opportunites

Unread postby MacDaddy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Well Maya, I would say that much of the marketing business would be done out of Edmonton or Calgary. You would probably have better luck pushing your recruiting and admin background if you are wanting something in the Fort McMurray community. Give it a year or so and I bet the Municipality will be opening the Ministry to Truth. When they do they will be needing people to help teach us newspeak.
MacDaddy

Unread postby mcmurrian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 am

You might be able to find work in the area for one of the local companies, the bigger ones have main offices in Edmonton or Calgary.
Check out something like this http://www.keyano.ca/AboutUs/HRDepartme ... detail=295
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby tasevska » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Thank you for the feedback, MacDaddy. I appreciate your advice, and admire your sense of sarcastic humor. But how did you know I also have recruitment experience? I don't think I mentioned that in my post.
tasevska

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Lets call it a lesson on protecting your identity. Using your surname as a user name opens the door to bad bad people (or annoying folk like my self). I was able to get this info (and more) in a couple of minutes. Its why I shun social media (invasive data collection sites) at all costs. My friends have my phone number and address and can either visit or call. Its down right scary how much of your personal information can be collected by someone willing to make a modest effort.
MacDaddy

Return to Newcomers