Work wear?

Thinking about visiting or moving to Fort McMurray? Ask the people who live here your questions.

Work wear?

I'm headed up there in a few days and have never worked in fort Mac. I've spent most my apprenticeship in Edmonton and needed a change.

My question is what should I bring/buy for work wear? I was told PPE is provided (except boots). But to bring indoor and outdoor wear. Since I've been in a shop for the past five years I have no idea what I should bring.

I know coverals are provided. But should I bring longjohns, gloves, warm coat, ect....

Thanks in advance.
newguy

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Work wear?

Unread postby The Goat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Depends who you are working for and what you will be doing. Some companies provide almost everything others provide very little. I am provide almost everything, Coveralls, Boots, Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, Gloves, Winter jacket and pants. I bring my own long johns, if you are going to be working outside at all bring some. I would ask the company you are coming to work for what they provide and what you need to bring.
The Goat

Unread postby newguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm

I'll be working at Nexan through Clearstream energy. From what I was told they supply the basic PPE like glasses, gloves and fire resistant clothing I needed.

I asked if it was indoor or out door work. But they have two different shifts, one outside and one in. I won't know which one I'm on untill I get there.

I was told to be prepared for both types of work.
newguy

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Look at this.
http://www.fort-mcmurray.climatemps.com/
Think about your tolerance to cold and heat and shop accordingly.
MacDaddy

Return to Newcomers