Dog Day Camp

Fort McMurray pet owners, share your thoughts about your pets, pet services and post pics of your little ones

Dog Day Camp

Hi! I'm going to be relocating to Fort McMurray within the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a dog day camp operating somewhere there? We have one here in Yellowknife that my dogs just love and I love bringing them. It's a great concept as it's stimulating mentally and physically for the dogs.

Also, I've been given the impression by someone that Fort McMurray isn't very dog friendly. Does anyone know of trails I can walk them off leash or other places I can bring them off leash where other people bring their dogs (even if they are "off the map" and out of the way)?

Let me know, please! One thing I know I'm giving up in YK is the dog friendliness and I'm hoping to find it in Fort McMurray.

Thanks!! :)
NikitaSpice

Dog Day Camp

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Dog Day Camp

Unread postby mcmurrian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Welcome to Fort McMurray northerly neighbour.
Not sure about a dog camp, I don't have a dog, but here is a map of all the parks in Fort McMurray
There are 3 places marked as official off leash dog parks (little paw symbol).
I think St. Gabriel School/Hinge Bay in Thickwood is the most popular. I see lots of dogs and their owners hanging out there.
There are lots of good trails around the city. Birchwood Park between Thickwood and Timberlea is the largest trail system and is the very well maintained.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby NikitaSpice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if I would be allowed to walk my dog off leash in the Birchwood Trails?
NikitaSpice

Unread postby mcmurrian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 pm

From the municipalities website
According to Animal Control Bylaw all animals must be kept on a leash at all times. The following is a list of the off-leash dog parks in Fort McMurray:

Beside the Water Treatment Plant
Thickwood Park
St. Gabriel School/Hinge Bay
Waterways - Sitskaw Park

Having said that, the inner Birchwood trails are not that busy and I've run into small dogs off leash, you might get into trouble if you run into a park patrol though.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby nframp » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 pm

There's no doggy day care but there SHOULD BE! Someone get on it!
nframp

Return to Pets