I lost my best friend

Fort McMurray pet owners, share your thoughts about your pets, pet services and post pics of your little ones

I lost my best friend

Today I lost my best friend. She was an amazing dog. I had her for almost 18 years. She was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer last month and it was incurable. It couldn't be fixed because it was so far gone and because she had a bad heart murmur and of course because of her age. I rescued her about 18 years ago from the SPCA and she's been through alot with me. She even got run over by a big truck at one point and the vet told me that she wouldn't make it. Well with my love for her, I decided not to put her to sleep at that point because I knew she would be ok. A week later, she was up and running around.

I put my baby to sleep today and I'm feeling horrible. The pain is bad and I miss her dearly. I guess I'm just needing some comfort or something because I feel so bad. I know I made the right choice because she wasn't eating anymore, or drinking. My vet told me, if she doesn't do two of the five things that she loves to do, then she won't get better. And she was right. She loved to go for rides, follow me around, sit by the bathroom door when I was getting ready, bark at other dogs on the street and go for a long walk. She could no longer do these things. I miss her and I hurt so bad.
Last edited by swaheeley on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
swaheeley

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: I lost my best friend

Unread postby purpleturtle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 am

Swaheely...I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets can mean so much to us. They can never be replaced, they will never be forgotten, they will always be loved, and they will be waiting for you on the other side. :(
purpleturtle

Unread postby swaheeley » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 am

I feel so bad though. Like I made the decision to end her life. And I know it was a right decision because I couldn't see her being in pain anymore. But I still feel so horrible. I miss her so much. This sucks!!!!
swaheeley

Unread postby jango » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

I feel your loss, I lossed my dog a few years ago he died after 16 years in his sleep, I decided to not get one again, the loss is too much sometimes, I believe if you have not experienced the love you can give and receive from a pet in your lifetime, you are missing a great experience...
jango

Unread postby The Yeti » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

It's a horrible feeling losing such a good friend. You need to know it was the right call though. If you see her suffering and no longer the playful silly family member that she was, it was time.

We had to do the same with our 11-year old golden retriever a number of years back. It was probably one of the saddest days of my life. She had liver cancer that spread through her whole stomach. She was playful right up to the time that my dad took her for that last car ride to the vet.

That moment will always stick out for me, but she was an awesome friend. She was always full of life, a great listener and knew when you had a bad day. Those memories are what you will need to remember, not her suffering at the very end.

If you need some therapy, you can always offer to walk dogs for the SPCA. I can't have a pet since I live in a non-pet friendly building, so I'll do that from time to time. The second we have our own home though, we'll be bringing one home.
The Yeti

Unread postby dolphin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I had to do the same thing with my beloved cat a few years ago, it was also cancer. This is what comforted me, humans are given morphine and IV drips to keep us comfortable in the hospital when we are dying. Our pets don't get those things so it is only our kindness and love that gave us the strength to have them euthanized. It broke my heart but it is the right thing to do. We can't watch our best friends suffer when they have stopped eating and we know they will never get better. I eventually got a new cat and it helped a bit but I will always miss my best friend. I truly do believe we will see them in heaven.
dolphin

Return to Pets