Why no over the garage suites?

Forum about Fort McMurray real estate, hosing pricing and homeownership

These are becomming more and more common in Calgary and given the massive number of people renting out portions of their house and the massive number of detached garages in this city I am shocked there are not a slew of garages with suites above like this.

You get a cool rental area with a seperate entrance off of a side door and up some stairs to the unit and it gives your tenant complete privacy and keeps your house to yourself.

I would LOVE to find something like that to rent here in Fort McMurray but oddly enough this is the one place I have not seen these things...

Does the city have some bylaws against them? Seems bizaar in Fort McMurray of all places not to allow these and in fact outright encourage them.
Tropics

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Why no over the garage suites?

Unread postby jango » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am

that looks hideous, looks like a giant bird house :D
maybe because its easier to rent a fixed up basement
jango

Unread postby Tropics » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 am

Or cramming 3 seperate suites into a single basement such as the place I viewed last night had.

Alot of carriage houses look a lot better then ordinary detached garages and they are WAY more of a decent place to live then most non-walkout basement suites in this city.
Tropics

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sat May 25, 2013 9:47 am

People wont' pay to building something like that here. They just get the Rona truck to drop off some drywall and lumber and throw up some walls to make luxury basement suites in their home. Check out this little gem my friend sent me the other day. http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/65067 I particularly enjoy the high end fixtures and finishes used in the basement photos. That's quality rental property Fort McMurray style!
MacDaddy

Unread postby jango » Sat May 25, 2013 1:27 pm

^^^^ haha I thought about that same spot when i first read this post
jango

Unread postby Tropics » Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Meh, I just cannot see the point of "not" building something like this.

Instead of something like this.

Yes, you spend an extra $100,000 on the carriage house but it is going to pull in $2000/month easily in this city, which WAY more then offsets the higher mortgage, and they simply look way nicer then your run of the mill cheap detached garage.
Tropics

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon May 27, 2013 3:37 pm

The problem is that there are too few people like you in this town. People who care how their home looks and takes some pride in its appearance. Instead we get people looking to squeeze every penny out of this town. If they even have a garage they are probably trying to rent it out as a bachelor suite to someone who isn't fussy on having indoor plumbing.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Chickpea » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 am

I think there would be two reasons:

- heating this would cost a lot
- getting a contractor to build this would be Hell, I can't get a contractor to show up to do anything without paying huge fees for "overtime" because they say they can't do anything during a weekday. They say they'll do something and just don't show. They show and do a crappy job.
- too big a job to be a DIY

I agree, we should all care more about the appearance of our homes. I do not like the get rich quick mindset of many residents here.
I love this place and want it to be a pleasant, attractive place to live. :(
Chickpea

Return to Real Estate