Best Campgrounds Near Fort Mac??

Where should I go next? Share your travel stories, tips and hints with Fort McMurray

Hi, I'm new to Fort Mac and I'm looking for some good info on campgrounds near Fort Mac. I've been to Gregoire Lake, which is so-so, and I've heard Christina Lake is really nice. However, what about other places? A google search has revealed:

Hangingstone Provincial Park
Maqua Lake Campground
Camp Yogi
Engstrom Lake

...but none of the websites I've seen have any pictures or any useful info about what the place is actually like and I've only found one review so far... the sites only talk about amenities. That's great, but that's secondary to how beautiful the place is.

Thanks so much.
billmcgee

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Best Campgrounds Near Fort Mac??

Unread postby betsi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park in Lac La Biche, AB http://goo.gl/maps/120N4 is nice. But it's about 3-3.5 hours drive on 881. Google gives wrong estimated time.
betsi

Unread postby Maggieb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:23 pm

We have checked out quite a few places this year, including White Sands Resort in Plamondin, Sir Winston Churchill provincial park, Beaver recreational park in Lac La Biche. And I have to say that Churchill is worth the ride. Very nice place, we go every second weekend when hubby is off.
Maggieb

Unread postby snowboarder1019 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I have been to Hanging stone and Gregoire,

I must say Hanging stone is nice you are the kind of camper to go out for a long weekend/week . Its quiet most of the time (I dont really care if people are having a party i can sleep through most things out there :lol: ,although its only 'old' people around a fire with their guitar having a social drink) Its about 45min south and the people are friendly although not many go as its your standard provincial park, no hydro , cable ,water (except for water pumps and out houses). People are friendly if you're friendly but like i said the majority of the time it is quiet.

Gregoire, oh boy.. the couple of times i've been there there were a alot of rowdy noisy teens and people are always coming in and out with their boats. As far as I know they have hydro and water. About a 10 min walk to the lake depending on where you are in the camp ,its not as gross as people make it sound. There is a convenience store but everything is over priced like you would imagine. This one is about 45-1h out of Fort mcmurray.

Edit: Just went to the paper's website and just read theres toxic algae in the lake :shock: I'd scratch going there now since the lake was one of the bigger reasons of going.
snowboarder1019

Return to Travel