Hawaii

Where should I go next? Share your travel stories, tips and hints with Fort McMurray

Hawaii

Going to Hawaii in Jan 2012 and wondering if anyone cares to share about their experiences there and what they thought were the best sights to see, beaches etc. What do you recommend? We will be on Oahu for 3 days prior to boarding Pride of America and are going to be doing excursions with NCL for Maui, Big Island and Kuai.
fmacgal

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Hawaii

Unread postby HUD » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:11 pm

On Oahu, Waikiki beach is the most famous beach. Tons of shops and restaurants. Waikiki has a trolley that you can hop on hop off. If you rent a car you can circle the island in an afternon, the sights are amazing, I think you can also book a tour company for an island tour. The north shore is really beautiful, feels like going back in time. They have some of the largest waves in the world, there are lots of surfing contests there. If you are only there for 3 days I would skip Pearl Harbour unless it is something you really want to see. I may be the minority but I think that Oahu is much prettier than Maui.
HUD

Unread postby fmacgal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info. We were thinking of seeing Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond Head, North Shore, going to Jermaine's Luau,Waikiki Beach of course and circling the Island (Pali Lookout, Dole Plantation) etc.. So many sights to see!
fmacgal

Unread postby HUD » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:40 pm

We did the luau at the Polynesian cultural center. The drive there is so beautiful. It was really good but keep in mind that the place is dry. I had friends who did Jermaine's and really liked it. We did Dole. The gift shop is really nice but the train ride is pretty lame unless you have kids or you really really want to see fields of pineapple.
HUD

Unread postby fmacgal » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 am

Back from Hawaii and had an excellent adventure. Saw all the tours! Saw all the Islands! Have to say that Kuaia is my favourite Island. Nothing but sunshine while we were there. For those of you looking to book tours, pick the ones with a small van, small group of people, they are the best, intimate tours. We had our own personal guided tour of Polynesian Cultural Center with a group of 11 and our guide knew when every show was taking place. I found Maui to be very volcanic black rock scenery and not much for beaches. Kuaia had more lush greenery and beaches. Pearl Harbor is a must as wel,l as is treking up Diamond Head. Germaine's Luau is good, but food is less than desireable! Too commercialized! Oahu is crowded, we stayed at Waikiki Beach. North Shore is a must for the waves and surf! Big Island we enjoyed the Kona Coffee Tour and volcanoes. Got to see the Napali Coast line and it is breathtaking! We did see the crew for Hawaii 5-0, but alas, no Danno! Got souvenir t shirts though! Got to see Oprah Winfrey acres on Maui, Mike Love home from Beach Boys, Kris Kirstofferson home, Pat Benetar etc. Wow! Fresh pineapple is very sweet and good. Favourite drink of choice is banana-pineapple smoothie! Prices are high on the Islands too.
fmacgal

Unread postby squintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:23 am

Glad you had a good time! lots to see down there (almost more of a marathon then a vacation sometimes, eh?)
squintz

Return to Travel